Automatic, or mechanical, watches use energy from the motion of the wearer's wrist to power the movement. Every time the watch moves, a rotor within the caliber spins and winds the mainspring. The gathered energy releases, from the mainspring to the gear trains, running the timepiece.
Advantages of an Automatic Movement
– The craftsmanship of an automatic movement is unmatched. It is an art that has been developed over centuries.
– The engineering that allows an automatic movement to run is remarkable.
– The second hands in an automatic watch have a fluid, sweeping motion you cannot find in other watches.
-Automatic watches hold their resale value well
Quartz watches are battery powered. A quartz caliber uses and electrical current from a battery to cause vibrations in a quartz crystal within the movement. These vibrations cause the movement to oscillate, which drives the motor.
Advantages of a Quartz Movement
– Quartz watches are less expensive; the movements are less labor intensive to manufacture.
– Quartz movements require very little maintenance, usually just a simple battery change every few years.
– Quartz movements are exceptionally reliable and accurate.